Monday 11 August 2008

Tribute: Isaac Hayes R.I.P.



August 20, 1942 -- August 10, 2008

Its with great sadness, that today I`ve heard about the passing of the great Soul Singer. Mr "Shaft" Isaac Hayes. I had the pleasure of meeting the great man once, he was introduced to me by Dionne and the man was a colossus and a real gentleman, with that rich baritone voice of his. R.I.P big man, your music will forever be implanted in my consciousness.




Isaac Hayes - along with Al Green, James Brown and Stevie Wonder - was one of the dominant black artists of the early 1970s.
Hayes, a self-taught musician, was hired in 1964 by Stax Records as a back-up pianist and saxophone, working as a session musician for big names such as Otis Redding.
He established a songwriting partnership with David Porter, and in the 1960s, writing hits for Sam and Dave such as Hold On, I'm Coming and Soul Man. This success led on to a recording contract, and in 1969 he shot to fame with the release the groundbreaking album Hot Buttered Soul.



The theme from the film Shaft was a number one hit in 1971. He won an Academy Award for the song and was nominated for another one for the score. The song and score also won him two Grammys.



A look back at the life of Isaac Hayes

Ike had recently finished work on a movie called "Soul Men" in which he played himself, starring Samuel L. Jackson and Bernie Mac, who also died on Saturday, It will be released in November 2008..

1 comment:

poisonivy said...

It is a wonderful blog. I am very sad to die and to concern him. Play with me, and it wants you to make the charming story and music listened without fail at that time.